Love to read but not sure which book to read next? There are so many books to choose from that it can be difficult to decide. Read this 4-stars book review of, Gospel Conversations by Robert W. Kellemen below.
Gospel Conversations is a great book for Biblical Counselors. Each chapter took me 1-2 hours to go through minimum. However, they varied in length. Chapter 1 was only 13 pages where chapter 2 was 30. I absolutely loved it, however, when it comes to practicality there are a few things I wanted to note:
1. The pages are thin enough that highlighters bleed through if you aren’t careful.
2. Some of the questions are only applicable for active counselors vs. counselors in training.
3. Some of the question sections were inserted in weird places that didn’t really make sense, and it didn’t tell you when to stop and answer them. I was trying to do them as they came, and sometimes they interrupted text that should have went together. I just wish they would have said, answer these questions now. Or something to give you a better idea of when to do them.
Okay, now for a couple of the things I loved:
1. Wide margins for note taking.
2. The books content overall. It is a fabulous resource to have, and I have tons of notes to help me going forward.
This book is awesome. It would be great to go through with an experienced counselor or small group. A new or inexperienced counselor may have issues doing some of the self-counseling questions on their own.
Book Description from Amazon:
How does a person learn to counsel others with the truth of God’s Word? Bob Kellemen believes that the best way to learn counseling is by doing it—by giving and receiving biblical counseling in the context of real, raw Christian community.
Gospel Conversations explores the four compass-points of biblical counseling:
Sustaining: “It’s Normal to Hurt.”
Healing: “It’s Possible to Hope.”
Reconciling: “It’s Horrible to Sin, but Wonderful to Be Forgiven.”
Guiding: “It’s Supernatural to Mature.”
These four compass points combine to equip readers to develop twenty-two ministry relational competencies—the “how to” of caring like Christ. This book serves as a practical training manual that can be used for lab and small group interaction.
Gospel Conversations is the second volume in The Equipping Biblical Counselors Series, a comprehensive relational training curriculum for the local church that provides a model for equipping God’s people to change lives with Christ’s changeless truth. This two-volume series weaves together comprehensive biblical insight with compassionate Christian engagement.
Have you read a great book lately? Share your book review with our readers here.